Special Offer: 10% discount off abx294171b COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Kit and abx294181b COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Kit. Simply add abx294171b and/or abx294181b to the basket and apply the coupon code 10Covid19 at the checkout. This discount is only valid for orders placed through the website and is not valid when ordering by email or phone. Discount must be applied at the time of order and cannot be retrospectively applied. Offer available while stocks last. Offer ends 28 February 2021. Please note that the abx294171 and abx294181 products can only be dispatched to healthcare, laboratory or business addresses and cannot be provided to home users. Terms and conditions apply.
Our COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Kit is intended for use by healthcare professionals and laboratory scientists.
Please note that the test cannot be provided to home users. This kit is only available for dispatch to healthcare, laboratory or business addresses.
Please see the following guidelines for product use:
- UK orders: This kit is UKCA marked, and suitable for IVD (in vitro diagnostic) use.
- 'Rest of the World' orders: Please contact us for more details at email@example.com.
What is COVID-19?
The Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is an emergent virus responsible for the respiratory illness Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). First documented in the city of Wuhan (China), it has spread to most countries across the globe.
The original source of SARS-CoV-2 is unknown. It has been reported to have high similarity to coronaviruses found in bats and pangolins, however, neither of these animals are thought to have been sold in the meat market that the earliest patients visited, suggesting an intermediate host.
The virus itself is a single-stranded RNA virus from the betacoronavirus genus, along with SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, and a variety of weaker coronaviruses that typically cause common colds.
How COVID-19 Spreads
The virus is easily transmitted from person to person, primarily via droplets. People are thought to be most contagious when they are showing symptoms, such as coughing.
- Fever, a high temperature - you feel hot to touch on your chest or back.
- Cough, a new continuous cough - this means you have experienced more coughing fits than usual.
- Shortness of breath - a difficulty in breathing that can occasionally appear after exercise.
Around 60% of people with coronavirus show mild or no symptoms. Studies show people without symptoms can infect others.
How can you prevent getting infected/infecting others?
One common piece of advice for avoiding infection is to behave as if you are already infected, and are trying to avoid transmitting the virus to others.
Both healthy and infected people can use eye protection (glasses/sunglasses) as well as face masks to block outgoing and incoming droplets.
The most effective way to prevent transmission is by self-isolating and avoiding unnecessary contact with other people.
A face mask offers protection in 2 ways: it protects other people by preventing any droplets from you, and it protects you from other people who are not wearing face masks and project their droplets onto you. When someone talks, coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain the virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person talking, coughing or sneezing has the disease.
Wash and/or sanitise your hands as often as possible. Washing your hands with soap and water or using alcohol-based hand rub kills viruses that may be on your hands.
Stay at home as much as possible. Avoid crowded areas, and keep a minimum distance of 2 m away from people not from your household. CLICK HERE FOR MORE ADVICE
Do I need a COVID-19 test?
Most people have mild illness and are able to recover at home; however testing results may be helpful to inform decision-making about who you come in contact with. You should consider testing if you meet any of the following criteria:
- If you are experiencing any of the symptoms if COVID-19
- If you have come into contact with someone who has COVID-19
- If you have returned from a country with a high incidence of COVID-19
Instructions for Use
|Place the cassette on a level surface at room temperature (15-25°C, 59-77°F). ||Remove the seal on the extraction buffer tube. ||Place the swab in the extraction buffer tube and rotate 10 times, squeezing against the tube walls to extract the most sample. |
|Remove the swab and cover the tube with the buffer tube cap. ||Add 3 drops of the extracted sample into the sample well. ||Wait 10 minutes. |
|Read the results (see interpretation of results section). || || |
How does the coronavirus test work?
Abbexa's COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Kit is a qualitative lateral flow immunochromatographic assay for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 antigens in human oropharyngeal, nasal and nasopharyngeal swabs.
The cassette contains monoclonal antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19 conjugated to gold nanoparticles, which bind to any SARS-CoV-2 antigen present in the sample. Monoclonal antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 are coated in the test region on the nitrocellulose membrane, which bind to the antigen-antibody complex and create a coloured line due to the gold nanoparticles. A control region on the upper end of the cassette confirms if the test has been successful.
How quickly can I get the results?
Within 10 minutes.
How do I understand the results?
The readout should show 1 line in the C (control) region. A purple line next to the T (test) region indicates a positive result. Faint lines are treated as a positive result.
- C and T regions are positive: user recently infected or re-infected with coronavirus.
- C region positive, T region negative: user not infected with coronavirus, or has been recently infected and is not presenting sufficient antigen.
- C region negative, T region either positive or negative: test is invalid, please retest with a new cassette.
| #1 Positive || #2 Negative || #3 Test Failure || #4 Test Failure |
What should I do if the test result is positive?
If you tested positive:
- Do not leave your home
- Get your food and necessities delivered
- Sanitise frequently-touched surfaces, such as doorknobs and bannisters.
- If you live in the UK, contact the NHS for further information. The NHS also has further information available online
- If you live in the USA: You may wish to contact your doctor over the phone. If you are having difficulty breathing, call 911 and inform them of your symptoms. You may also wish to confirm your positive result by requesting the hospital to run a PCR test
- It is recommended to isolate in a dedicated room for a minimum of 2 weeks to prevent contagion of other people in the household
If you tested negative:
- You may not have encountered the virus, or you encountered the virus very recently and do not yet have sufficient antigen that can be picked up by the Rapid Test Kit.
- If available, a PCR test may help confirm if you have been infected with the virus.
In the event of a serious event using this kit, please contact the relevant authorities. Our contact details can be found at https://www.abbexa.com/contact
How accurate is the COVID-19 test?
Based off a sample of 158 people (31 positive and 127 negative), the test has a sensitivity and specificity of 90.32% and 99.21%, respectively.
What is the mortality rate for COVID-19?
The mortality rate for COVID-19 has been difficult to calculate due to the number of undiagnosed cases. Estimates range from 0.02% to 14%; most centre at approximately 2-4%. The threat to the average healthy adult is low, however immunodeficiencies or respiratory illnesses can increase the mortality risk substantially.
Research Articles on COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Kit
||Optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
||Store at 2-30 °C.
||The validity for this kit is 12 months.
||Oropharyngeal, nasal and nasopharyngeal swabs.
|25 Test Cassettes|
|25 Buffer Tubes|
|25 Tube Caps|
|Material Required But Not Provided
||Shipped within 5-10 working days.
||This product is intended for use by healthcare professionals and laboratory scientists only. UK only: This product is UKCA marked and is suitable for in-vitro diagnostic use.
Non-UK: This product is for research use only.